Warner, Kaine Announce More Than $3.6 Million In Federal Grants For Agricultural Development
WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Senators Mark R. Warner and Tim Kaine (both D-VA) announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will award $3,684,248 in Rural Development grants to various Virginia enterprises. The USDA’s Value Added Producer Grant Program, part of the 2014 farm bill, assists farmers with developing new product lines and expanding markets for their products, with a specific focus on small and medium-sized family farms and beginning farmers and ranchers.
The grants are awarded as part of a national competition, and require matching funds covering 50% of the project costs. Since 2009, the program has been a key tenet of the USDA ‘Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food’ initiative to promote local and regional food systems as a component of rural economic development.
“These grants help Virginia farmers grow their local economies through innovative products and entrepreneurial spirit. This program provides much-needed financing to help producers develop new product lines and increase their income,” Sen. Warner said.
The following entities will be awarded funding under today’s announcement:
- Marceline Vineyards in Mount Crawford will receive $250,000;
- Seaman’s Orchard in Roseland will receive $250,000;
- Silver Creek Orchards in Tyro will receive $250,000;
- Cana Cellars in Huntly will receive $250,000;
- Good Earth Peanut Company in Skippers will receive $250,000;
- Rosemont of Virginia in La Crosse will receive $250,000;
- Stanburn Winery in Stuart will receive $250,000;
- Cobblestone Milk Cooperative in Chatham will receive $62,000;
- Upper Shirley Vineyards in Charles City will receive $250,000;
- Manakintowne Specialty Growers in Powhatan will receive $250,000;
- Papa Weaver’s Pork in Orange will receive $250,000;
- Garden Patch in Orange will receive $49,999;
The Middle Peninsula
- Rappahannock River Oysters in Topping will receive $250,000;
- Garner’s Produce in Warsaw will receive $250,000;
- Kats Ag Energy Farm in Purcellville will receive $250,000;
- Vintage Virginia Apples in North Garden will receive $250,000;
- Mountainrose Vineyards in Wise will receive $49,999 and;
- Botanical Bites & Provisions in Fredericksburg will receive $22,250.